Ted Hess & Associates, LLC

866-578-9635 970-989-9906

Helping clients from around the world

Will a relative suffer if you are deported?

Hundreds of thousands of people live in fear of deportation in Colorado. Immigrants living illegally in the U.S. worry because deportation not only uproots your life but can hurt family members. It is possible to fight against deportation by showing that your family will greatly suffer if you were forced to leave the country.

If family members will experience extreme hardship then you could avoid deportation

According to a new policy established this year, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) can give immigrants who are illegally living in the U.S. for over a year an extreme hardship waiver based on undue hardship for family members. While losing your job, uprooting and separating your family are considered typical effects of deportation, an extreme hardship must go beyond these issues. Extreme hardship can affect your parents, siblings, and extended family members for many reasons.

Extreme hardship can mean that your family needs you here

Extreme hardship means that if you were deported then your family would suffer emotionally, physically and even financially. Most often the following circumstances do not apply to children of an immigrant, but rather other family members.

  • Your family depends on you to financially support them here
  • A relative is sick and relies on you for care
  • You need to be here to take care of a relative's children because they cannot afford child care

You can also prove that a family member would experience extreme hardship if they had to follow you back to your home country. This could mean that:

  • They are sick and will not have access to proper medical care in your home country
  • They do not speak your country of origin's language
  • Your family member will not be able to work in your home country
  • Your relative has debt in the U.S. and cannot pay it off from your home country

These are just some of many possible arguments which can be made to prove extreme hardship of a family member. If you are considering applying for an extreme hardship waiver then it is important to get the help of an attorney. An immigration attorney can help you create the best argument to prove your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


It is recommended that you apply five months before your current work authorization expires.

We have special discounted prices for DREAMer renewals, so call us today!

(970) 989-9906

Do You Need Legal Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Ted Hess & Associates, LLC
110 8th Street
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601

Toll Free: 866-578-9635
Phone: 970-989-9906
Fax: 970-945-2898
Glenwood Springs Law Office Map

110 8th Street - GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO 81601