Ted Hess & Associates, LLC

866-578-9635 970-989-9906

Helping clients from around the world

Glenwood Springs Immigration Law Blog

4 issues to take care of if you plan to apply for citizenship

If you are applying for citizenship, or naturalization, in the United States, you should prepare yourself for a long and usually confusing process. Even if the paperwork you turn in to the immigration office is perfect, it can still take a long time for it to complete the process. However, it only takes a slight error to hold up the process.

In general, there are four common issues that can cause serious problems for people who are trying to obtain U.S. citizenship. If any of these issues applies to you, you should take care of them as soon as possible so that they do not affect your immigration status.

Immigration scams: A total waste of time and money

Many people from other countries feel a strong desire to come to the United States. Some are willing to do whatever it takes to come here. In certain cases, people turn to illegal means to make it here. Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous people who prey on the people who want to come here.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides information about scams prevalent in the immigration industry. Being savvy about these scams can help ensure that you and your family members who are trying to come here don't fall victim to them.

The Employment Fifth Preference E5 Immigration Investor Visa

If you've tried to get a visa to enter the United States and failed, you know how difficult the process can be. However, you still might want to keep your eyes on the prize.

The U.S. government grants about 140,000 visas for employment-based entry into the country each year. The government grants these visas to those who qualify for entry under U.S. immigration laws.

Naturalization can help legal immigrants obtain citizenship

People who come into the United States often want to become citizens of this country so that they can enjoy all of the benefits of citizenship. Immigrants can use the naturalization process to make this happen, but the process isn't always easy.

Immigrants who come into this country do have certain benefits, but many of them want to be sure that they can stay here forever without having to worry about filing forms and having someone else decide their fate. While it is possible for a naturalized citizen to have that citizenship revoked, it does require a process that is called denaturalization.

Get ready to experience life in the United States

There are a lot of things to think about when you are coming to the United States. In the days and months after you arrive, you will have to learn to adjust to a new way of life. This can help you to fit in better and to be able to live a normal life.

As you work to adjust to life here, there are some points that you can remember. These might help you prepare for what is to come.

What to expect when adjusting your immigration status

Dealing with immigration issues can be a very scary and difficult process. It is something that people normally do with help from an experienced attorney. Even changing your immigration status from temporary to permanent can be very hard for many people. The forms are often confusing and unclear about the information that the immigration office requires you to provide. Fortunately, an immigration lawyer in the Glenwood Springs area can help get you through the process to adjust your residency status.

Your immigration lawyer will be able to walk you through the steps and ensure you submit all the correct documents. If you are going to start the "adjustment of status" process, read further for information on what you can expect.

Have you answered these immigration frequently asked questions?

Are you interested in immigrating to the United States? Are you hoping to help a family member make their way to the country in a legal manner?

If you answered yes to either question, it's important to understand the many immigration laws that could impact your situation.

Things to know about Green Cards

No matter why you want to live in the United States of America, you will have to go through different processes to be legally recognized as a permanent resident. Fortunately for immigrants, there are many different ways to become a legal and permanent resident, but for many people the best option is to get a Green Card.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is a permit that shows that the person who has it is legally allowed to live and work in the United States. Once a person has a Green Card, they are considered a permanent resident of America and they can live and work in the U.S. indefinitely.

Do non-citizens and immigrants have constitutional rights in America?

No matter how you feel about the current political climate, it is hard to deny that things are changing quickly. Since the most recent presidential election, new laws and orders have been made and the way existing laws and orders are enforced have changed. It looks like change is not going to stop any time soon, but there are some things that will probably stay the same: Constitutional rights.

It is in times like these that it is most important for people, citizens and non-citizens alike, to know their rights. Even many U.S. citizens are not fully aware of their rights as Americans and learning more about them can be difficult, but when it comes to American law, everyone has basic rights.

DACA could protect you from deportation

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) protects you from being deported if you meet the requirements. If you were brought to the U.S. when you were younger, you may be eligible for DACA. DACA does not grant you citizenship, but there may be ways to get a green card after you have been granted deferred action, depending on your situation.


It is recommended that you apply five months before your current work authorization expires.

We have special discounted prices for DREAMer renewals, so call us today!

(970) 989-9906

Do You Need Legal Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Ted Hess & Associates, LLC
110 8th Street
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601

Toll Free: 866-578-9635
Phone: 970-989-9906
Fax: 970-945-2898
Glenwood Springs Law Office Map

110 8th Street - GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO 81601